TWELTH ANNUAL PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT STUDENT CHALLENGE BOWL
Sponsored by the PSPAPhysician Assistant
Chairman: Jackie Lageman, PA-C firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Challenge Bowl Rules:
1. Only current PSPA student members actively enrolled in an accredited PA Program in the state of Pennsylvania are eligible to participate.
2. PA Programs are permitted to register one (1) team.
3. There is no entry fee.
4. Each team consists of three (3) players and one (1) alternate.
5. A round-robin format will be utilized with preliminary rounds, semi-final rounds, and a final round, with the number of matches per round determined by the number of entered teams.
6. The moderator will read the question, the first team to signal in will be acknowledged by the moderator and permitted ten (10) seconds to answer.
7. The moderator will NOT complete the question if a team signals in before the full question is read.
8. If the team that signals in first incorrectly answers the question, the moderator will re-read the entire question and the remaining teams will be given an opportunity to respond. Ten (10) seconds will be allowed for their response.
9. Ten (10) points are awarded for each correct answer. Ten (10) points will be deducted for each incorrect answer. If a team signals in and fails to answer the question within the allotted ten (10) seconds, it is counted as an incorrect response.
10. Team members must speak loudly and clearly when answering questions. If the moderator questions the pronunciation of an answer, he/she may request the team member to spell the word in question. If the spelling is ruled correct, ten (10) points will be awarded. If the pronunciation and spelling are ruled incorrect, ten (10) points will be deducted.
11. Only one (1) response will be accepted after a team has signaled in.
12. A time limit will apply to each match, with the timing judge announcing when five (5) minutes and one (1) minute remain in the match.
13. The play clock is stopped if the moderator appeals to the judges for a ruling.
14. ALL judges’ decisions are final. Any protests by a challenge bowl team member or team’s faculty advisor will result in an automatic disqualification of that team from the current challenge bowl.
15. Any team found to be cheating by the moderator or judges will automatically be disqualified from the current challenge bowl AND suspended for three (3) years from future PSPA sponsored physician assistant student challenge bowls.
16. The team with the most points at the end of their match will advance to the next round of play. The team with the most points at the end of the final round of play will be declared the winner. In the event of a tie between the highest scoring teams in a match/round, a “sudden death” playoff will be held. In the event of a “sudden death” playoff, the competing teams’ scores will revert to zero and the first team to correctly answer a question wins the match.
17. All teams must participate in the Annual Host City Charity.
18. Each team was be accompanied by a faculty member or faculty designee.
Click here to download a registration form.